In Ziggurat Interactive’s upcoming punchy management simulation — World Championship Boxing Manager™ 2 — you’re going to meet up with some of the greatest fighters in boxing history and maybe sign a few of them to your team! And following up on the recent overview of Rocky Marciano, another character in the game, today Ziggurat is pleased to feature Sugar Ray Robinson!
Born Walker Smith Jr. on May 3, 1921, Sugar Ray is a name widely known throughout boxing communities, even 57 years after he retired from the sport. Borrowing the Amateur Athletic Union boxing card of his friend Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray quickly picked up the sport and quickly built a following at the gym where he trained. When future coach George Gainford watched him box for the first time, Gainford commented that the young boxer’s style and fluid motions were “sweet as sugar.” Others agreed, and the nickname stuck. After winning the New York Golden Gloves championship in 1940, 19-year-old Sugar Ray turned pro and never looked back. By 1946, Sugar Ray had become the world welterweight champion. His reign included a 91-fight winning streak. He held the title for five years and then moved on to acquiring the world middleweight title, which he held five times between 1951-1960. A dominant force in the boxing ring for two decades, Sugar Ray was 38 when he won his last middleweight title.
Sugar Ray’s record was 128-1-2 with 84 knockouts at the pinnacle of his career. Amazingly, in over 200 fights, Sugar Ray was never physically knocked out (though he did receive one technical KO). Altogether, he accumulated 109 KOs and finished with a record of 175-19-6 with two no-decisions. World champion Muhammad Ali called him “the king, the master, my idol.” In 1997, The Ring magazine named Sugar Ray “pound for pound, the best boxer of all time.”
World Championship Boxing Manager 2 features retro-tastic, 32-bit styled visuals and modernizes the series by adding dynamic lighting, an updated interface, and more fights than you can shake your glove at! Hone your fighters to the limit in career mode, or jump into story mode to follow the journeys of real-life boxers on their way from the bottom to the top. However you play it, World Championship Boxing Manager 2 will get you in the ring soon.
Features of World Championship Boxing Manager 2 include:
- An awesome stable of sluggers and staff, including iconic licensed characters Rocky Marciano™ and Sugar Ray Robinson™!
- 32-bit visuals with modern features, including dynamic lighting and a fight cam to watch your fighter duke it out in real-time
- An extensive skill system lets players build the boxer of their dreams. Be it a hard-hitting ring king, a one-punch wonder, or a super stamina warrior of the knock-down-drag-out fight; it’s up to the player to create a training path to victory
- A complete hiring system gives players the power to select the best training team (and business managers) for their fighters — even if some of that staff might be a little unorthodox!
- Twitch integration allows streamers and their viewers to take part in the boxing experience together with viewer-triggered random in-game events that can help or hinder the player
- Jam-packed with the humor, heart, and personality that made the original game so popular!
About Ziggurat Interactive
Ziggurat Interactive is an independent developer and publisher of new and old video games. Breathing new life into titles lost to time, they restore the past, remaster classic moments and reimagine retro gaming experiences.
Established in 2019, the company has published over 100 titles across multiple digital platforms. Ziggurat Interactive is the home of BloodRayne, The Boy & His Blob, Slave Zero X and more beloved titles of the past.
More info about Ziggurat Interactive, its current lineup, and upcoming announcements is available on Twitch, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and its official website.
© 2022 Ziggurat Interactive, Inc. World Championship Boxing Manager is a trademark of Ziggurat Interactive, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Rocky Marciano™ is a trademark of the Family of Rocky Marciano. Sugar Ray Robinson™ is a trademark of Sugar Ray Robinson Licensing & Properties. All rights reserved.